START TO FINISH
- 1 ⅓ cups plain, unsweetened soymilk • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed • ¼ cup hot water (about 180° F) • 1 ⅓ cups whole-wheat pastry flour • ⅔ cups cornmeal • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar • 1 tablespoon baking powder • ½ teaspoon salt • 2 cups blueberries, plus 2 cups for serving (optional) • 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together soy milk and lemon juice. Let mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken into a buttermilk-like consistency.
- In a small bowl, stir ground flaxseed and hot water together. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Add flaxseed mixture and canola oil to the bowl with the “buttermilk” and whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones until just combined, and then fold in the blueberries. If the batter is too thick to pour, thin it with a little more soymilk.
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet or nonstick griddle over medium heat. When the pan is hot, brush it with a thin layer of oil. Spoon a scant ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle for each cake. This should spread to form a 4-inch pancake. Cook for 2 minutes, until batter begins to bubble and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip the pancakes and cook until opposite sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. Top pancakes with a sprinkle of pecans, additional blueberries and a dusting of confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
Nutrition Score Per Serving (2 pancakes): 406 calories, 7g protein, 42g carbohydrates, 26g fat (2g saturated fat), 255mg calcium, 2mg iron, 19mcg folate, 7g fiber, 438mg sodium